Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Dambulla – The Golden Temple


I got the chance to go to Dambulla for the third time with my parents. They were planning to go to Polonnaruwa, to visit one of my relatives and I suggested that I will also come if we can also visit Dambulla. This time we went by our own vehicle.
                       
When you are traveling from Kandy, Dambulla is in your left hand side. You will arrive there few kilometers before arriving to Dambulla Town, the sleepless city in Sri Lanka. There is a parking area beside the temple, and you will be charged about 50 rupees for parking.
When I first looked at the temple, I was charmed by the scenery. The golden temple, it really was ‘gold’.  The statue of the Lord Buddha reaches the sky, touching the clouds. I had visited Dambulla 2 times before, but that was before the statue was built. The scenery is charming enough to catch anybody’s eyes. It lightens the whole area, spreading the wonders of the Buddhism far and wide. 


 

My parents and I sat in front of the statue and enjoyed the peace for couple of minutes. We just sat there. I looked at my parents. There were worshiping with eyes closed. Their faces were full of peace and calm.

No comments: